Developer and Owner, Pat Butler hired golf course designer Bradford Benz from San Jose, CA. Part of our criteria was for the golf course design to be in harmony with the natural environment. The site dictated to the greatest extent possible the design solution, rather than imposing a predetermined style of architecture upon the landscape which resulted in a more beautiful, more economically maintainable and more technically functional facility. For instance, plants that absolutely had to be removed were not run down by a bull dozer, but instead dug up and transferred to a nursery. Further we were highly selective in our selection of any plants that are introduced to make certain that we don't over run or out compete the indigenous species.
Another special element in the "Faces of Mexico" course is it utilizes salt-tolerant turf and plants, known as halophytes, which will utilize seawater irrigation. Our fairways, greens and ornamental landscape plants are all from the halophyte plant family, which greatly reduces our need to utilize fresh water to maintain our golf course. San Felipe averages less than 3 inches of rain per year and water is very precious. By utilizing salt tolerant grass and plants, we are able to tap into previously "unusable water" in wells that are too high in salt content to be of any human or agricultural use. This is very much in keeping with the owner’s interest in sustainable community development.
The Faces of Mexico golf course will eventually become a private course when the additional 18 holes are added on the West side of Highway 5. Only residents and hotel guests will play the seaside course when the mountain course is completed.
Mr. Bradford Benz; San Jose, CA
- Golf Course Architect: 31 years
- 136 golf course designs worldwide
- Beijing: best new course in Asia, 1990
- Nordcentre: #1 course in Finland, host European PGA
- The Briarwood: best public course, Montana
- Heritage Hills: best new course, Nebraska
- Wildcreek, Reno: host PGA Senior Tour
- Gainey Ranch: received the Crescordia Award, Arizona;
Recognition for environmental design excellence.
- Boulder Ridge: nominated best new course in USA, 2001
- THE GOLF COURSE: 18-hole Championship; 7,152 yds.
- Halophyte turf grasses: Seashore Paspalum; SeaDwarf variety
- Greens: 7,000 sq .ft. average size; Seashore Paspalum; SeaDwarf variety
- Tees: 5 decks per hole; Seashore Paspalum; SeaDwarf variety
- Fairways: 40 acres; Seashore Paspalum; SeaDwarf variety
- Roughs: Seashore Paspalum; SeaDwarf variety
- Bunkers: 80
- Lakes: 3
- Irrigation System: Automated, in-ground
- Driving Range: 5 target greens
- Practice Areas w/ large putting & chipping greens
- Full-service Clubhouse & Pro shop facilities
- Rental carts & equipment will be available
- Lessons will be available from certified Professionals
- Green Fees: discounted for La Ventana Del Mar owners
Regarding construction, we contracted with Gregori International. The company is from France (head office) with branch offices in Miami, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. They've been building courses for over 30 years in the Middle East, North Africa, the Gulf Countries, Caribbean, U.S.A. and Asia. Some of their achievements: The White Witch Golf Club at the Ritz Carlton Resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica; The Mirage City Golf Course in Cairo, Egypt; The Four Seasons Resort Golf Course in Nevis, West Indies; Summit Golf Club, Panama; The Sun Golf Course & The Dunes Golf Course, Morocco; and the Jerba Golf Course, Tunisia. They've also done Race Tracks, Polo Fields; Football, Baseball, Rugby, Cricket, and Tennis Stadiums; as well as various Resort Landscaping and Infrastructure developments. Their Project Manager for our job, along with some crew members have arrived; and their heavy equipment arrived from Miami March 26th, 2003. We began moving earth that Monday, March 28th 2003 and opened the course April 4th, 2005.
PHASE I included the construction of the 18 hole golf course with a practice range and putting area. Also complete is "The Pavilion" adjacent to the event lawn and over looking the practice range. The Pro shop and cart storage is currently located in The Pavilion. The Pavilion is also the location of our new restaurant and bar.
PHASE II will include the construction of the Clubhouse & Pro shop facilities.
Click here to see the current pictures of the golf course